What’s the Deal with Book Clubs?

Feb 23

I have been in five book clubs since graduating from college and I still haven’t quite figured out what they’re all about.

My first book club was a pleasing melange of my work and college friends.  We were all young and living in New York, and enjoyed our monthly meetings over dinner and wine at one of our apartments.  We gravitated toward literary fiction.  That book club set the bar high for those that followed: not only were the books and company great, but we also managed to have a mixed-gender group (uncommon among book clubs, I believe) that lasted for much of my time in the city.  A favorite book we read was Booker Prize winner, The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy – the haunting, breathtaking tale of twins Rahel and Estha growing up in 1960s India.

After I left New York, I was in two different book clubs at the school where I taught.  One was a quasi-official one in which a group of teachers, staff, and students at a mostly white, mostly upper class New England boarding school read books relevant to the experience of being “other.”  (“Official” in that the school paid for the books – score!  “Quasi” in that participation wasn’t required.)  Among the books we read, my favorite was probably Passing, Nella Larsen’s Harlem Renaissance masterwork about a black woman who passes as white.

Gaining membership in the other book club felt something like being tapped into a secret society.  Hosted by the somewhat aloof wives of several of my male colleagues, this club was not generally open to faculty members.  It is not to my credit that I felt like I hit the popularity jackpot when I was invited to join.  So excited was I that I devoured all of their admittedly strong popular fiction selections and then never went to a single meeting.  Scheduling issues mixed with latent insecurity and I stayed home.  Among that group’s selections, I especially enjoyed the guilty pleasure of Philippa Gregory’s The Other Boleyn Girl.  As a European history teacher, I could pass off my interest as professional curiosity; really I liked it because it was a fun, sexy summer read.

My next book club experience was similar to the prior one in that it was based at the school where I was teaching – and being asked to join made me feel like I had passed social muster.  Given that almost all of us were humanities teachers, the books we read were fairly serious and literary.  We were loyal about meeting once a month and enjoyed our potluck brunches.  It was through this particular book club that I found Wallace Stegner – through an introduction via Crossing to Safety – and that alone is enough to make me remember it fondly.

My current book club is somewhat of an enigma: it is a book club in name only.  You see, no one actually reads the book.  Each month one member chooses a book and then only one or two of us read it.  I’m not sure why.   Maybe the members don’t enjoy reading?  Maybe they don’t feel like they have time to?  Instead, we meet and eat and talk – mostly about our kids.  As much as I enjoy the company of the women in the group, as a bookworm I miss the chance to discuss books - and so I keep half an ear open for whispered word of other clubs possibly interested in recruiting a new member.

Does your group need another body?  I have a flush resume!

Have you ever been in a book club?  What makes book groups successful or unsuccessful?

Image: Mosman Library Book Club Kit Launch display by Mosman Library via Flickr under a Creative Commons license.

Sarah February 23, 2010 at 6:50 am

Oh, Kristen. I am chuckling at this this morning. First of all, Jen is the biggest Wally Stegner fan you will ever meet and Crossing To Safety is the most beautiful, genius and rich book I have probably ever read.

Secondly, it’s parenthood. If you are in a book club with other moms, I assure you no one is reading because they are, in fact, moms. Reading the book club book feels like an assignment and, even if you are enjoying it, you tend to fall asleep if you are reading past 8:30 pm — and really, when are you not reading past 8:30 pm? :)

Needless to say, Jen and I are in a book club that hasn’t met since the summer. I’m not sure there is much of a chance of resurrecting it now, so yeah, anyone need another body for book group in CT?

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:39 am

I certainly read differently now that I’m a mom, but books are the one thing I refuse to let go. This weekend, for instance, my MIL and SIL were visiting and I didn’t keep up with my writing (other than a few notes here and there) or with reading blogs, but I still did read a few pages every night before falling asleep.

I do hear you, though, about book club books feeling like an assignment. I definitely feel more frustrated being asked to read something I don’t love when I don’t have as much free time. That’s where my 50 page rule comes in: if I read 50 pages and I’m not into it, I stop. I never used to be able to do that.

Sarah February 23, 2010 at 6:50 am

(Wow, I guess I’m double happy this morning. Who Knew?)

Christine LaRocque February 23, 2010 at 7:17 am

Found this post very interesting, mostly because I’m in a book club that has been together for 8 years. We’ve gone through so much together (marriages, home buying, career changing and to date the birth of 13 kids). It’s a book club to be sure and for the most part we all read the books. Our selections are very eclectic, a reflection of our 7 members. Sometimes they are literary (Fall on your knees by Anne Marie Macdonald) sometimes they are guilty pleasures (we also read The Other Boleyn Girl) and sometimes they are upsetting (have you ever read Sarah’s Key?) We meet monthly for dinner, wine, girl and book talk. Book talk tends to be a minimum, though interestingly it’s always the books that we don’t enjoy that garner the most discussion. That said, our “club” has moved beyond being just a group of women who get together to share a love of books, but it’s become a network of women who love each other, support one another and share our happiness and sadness. In fact, one of these women is my youngest son’s Godmother. Without these ladies I’d be lost. For the moment, I can’t find time or the focus to read anything too weighty so this suits me. I’m excited for the day when I’m sleeping well enought that I can focus on the greats once again.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:46 am

Oh Christine, you have just described my vision of an ideal book club, not to mention an ideal group of friends! I love the way that your group seems to blend so many different types of connection into its “meetings.”

I have read Sarah’s Key. I also found it quite upsetting and, although I was interested to learn for the first time about the Vel d’Hiv deportations, I didn’t care much for the contemporary part of the plot or the author’s writing style.

Do you ever read short stories? In the past, I always preferred novels, but lately I’ve been appreciating short stories more and more for the quicker punch they can pack. Recent favorites include anything by Jhumpa Lahiri or Alice Munro, Cynthia Ozick’s Dictation, and Elizabeth Strout’s Olive Kitteredge.

BigLittleWolf February 23, 2010 at 7:27 am

I was in an online book club many years ago, through the Atlantic. It was fantastic. What “made” the club was the quality of dialogue (exchanged much as we do in blogs, ie written) in discussing the book. It was 10 or 12 people, best I can recall, and they were brilliant and creative minds – and books which were unusual often made the list. From time to time, we could get the author to contribute at the end of the month’s ongoing discussion.

It was pretty cool.

These days, it’s hard to imagine having the time or energy for a book club – virtually or literally. But it was loads of fun back then.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

I wonder if they still have those online clubs at the Atlantic. I’ll have to check it out.

I tried an online club once through Barnes & Noble online, but there were hundreds of members and so no real discussion ever got going. But I suppose comparing my B&N experience to yours with the Atlantic is sort of like comparing the experience I had at a few predatory parenting chat rooms at iVillage to the experience I’ve had here.

Nicki February 23, 2010 at 7:32 am

I have been toying with a book club at a locally owned book store. A friend and neighbor recommended several of the books they had read last year to me. Unfortunately, I have still not read them as I have been too busy.

Once I get through this weekend, my life eases up a bit and I am back to running, reading and writing more … I hope.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I like the sound of that type of book club – a way to discuss books and support local booksellers!

delialloyd February 23, 2010 at 8:00 am

Right there w/you on all counts. Have also gone through phases and am always puzzled when people don’t read the book-what’s that abt? why not call it something else then? I know of one group where they only read a book every other month and read a magazine article in between. one thought. good luck!!

delia lloyd

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:55 am

Yes: if we’re not reading books, then we’re not really a book club. Why not just call it a wine, cheese, and kvetch club? I’d be all for that too!

I do like the suggestion of alternating books and shorter pieces, but I still wonder if it would help. I think the tone and critical mass in this particular group may have shifted irreparably. Sigh.

Charlotte February 23, 2010 at 8:19 am

I love book clubs. If they don’t have one where I live, I start one. I disagree with the mom comment, I’ve always been a mom while in book clubs and we have always read the books and discussed them (although we get a little off track from time to time). My club meets tomorrow and we read A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

I would like a few more people to join, though. So far we are at about 3-4 people/ month.

I love discussing the books I read and often finish a book and am dying to discuss it with someone.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 10:30 am

I’m with you, Charlotte: part of the joy of reading (or appreciating any art form, I think) is processing it with other people.

PinesLakeRedhead February 23, 2010 at 9:02 am

If you find a book club, can I join too? Perhaps you should start an online club like the one Big Little Wolf mentioned?

In the past, I’v avoided book clubs because I tend to read more than one book a month. Or the clubs I found read lots of “chick lit” fluff. Finally, a few coworkers and I started a club last year. After the second book, our members dropped from 16 down to the original three. Now we read our books round-robin and discuss them over lunch. Very informal.

I read and enjoyed “The Other Boleyn Girl” but not the others you mentioned. I’m going to look them up now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Hmm, an online club…Maybe we *should* start one…interesting idea…

In the meantime, I’m envious of your informal book group at work. These days I’m having lunch with my 2 year old and 9 month old. We do read together, but the discussions we have aren’t always that deep. :)

PinesLakeRedhead February 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I find Dr. Suess to be quite stimulating… especially at lunch. :)

In fact, try “My Many Colored Days.” It’s an excellent book for helping toddlers/preschoolers express their feelings. It worked wonders for my eldest. I don’t why I didn’t think of it last week.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Great recommendation. We are big Dr. Seuss fans chez Motherese, but I don’t know that one. Thanks!

crnnoel February 23, 2010 at 9:20 am

I was in charge of my moms group book club back in the day I was in a moms group… (all of a year ago ;))
And no one read the book. Or if they did, they didn’t want to think about what they read. Which was infuriating because I would read the book – take notes – come up with discussion questions… I guess I took it seriously.
I’ve got this longing for a book club. But with the likes of people who read the book, have a few thoughts, and appreciate books. That’s not too much to ask for, is it?

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I’m sensing another potential recruit for my would-be online book club!

Amber February 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

I have never been in a book club. Perhaps that is the reason why I haven’t read any good reads since, say, 2 summers ago?

No advice here, but a virtual book club would be really nice. I could use some mental stimulation by other delightful and wise minds. And, I promise I will read every book!!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:26 pm

yet another recruit!

Heather of the EO February 23, 2010 at 9:51 am

I’ve been in a bunch of book clubs too. Mostly for the wine :) No really, I love books so much and LOVE getting the perspective other people had on something I missed, etc.

The last book club I was in was the same, no one read the book (sometimes me too, if life was nutty) so we just ate and drank wine and talked. I think it was just an excuse to get out.

I loved my first one so much too and that did set the bar high. I’m going to have to choose carefully in our new town :)

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:27 pm

I’m starting to see a theme here: book club as an excuse to get out of the house.

Jana February 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

I have a bookclub meeting tomorrow night! We, too, talk about kids and life, etc., but we do eventually get around to talking about the book. This month it was Olive Kitteridge, which I really enjoyed. It’s always hard to find a book to read, but most of us are pretty ambitious (writers, readers, a social worker and a couple of teachers), so we’re not easily intimidated. I always have a ton of ideas, which I’m sure the other participants just love. :) I always look forward to getting together with ladies for some good conversation. If you’re into short stories, Kristen, you really HAVE to read Maile Meloy’s Both Ways Is the Only Way I Want It. I haven’t read a collection that great in a while. (I read most of Munro’s new one, but darn, are they depressing, and too many bad things happening to babies in that one.)

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Your book club sounds like the good ones from my past. I’m jealous.

Thank you for the short story collection recommendation. That title is new to me, but I look forward to checking it out. And I’m with you on Alice Munro – and anything that features kids at risk. Have you read Runaway? I don’t remember it being quite as depressing.

becca February 23, 2010 at 10:32 am

Yup, I’m one of those moms that goes to the group solely for the purpose of getting out and socializing with the other moms. I rarely read the book and neither do the other moms. I just don’t read books these days. BUT, what I WOULD be into would be a BLOG club. We’d discuss other blogs! Now that I could get into… because I certainly read enough of them! Anyone?

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

How Web 2.0 of you! A blog club. You’re ahead of your time, Becca!

Jane February 23, 2010 at 11:11 am

Once again, we’re on the same wavelength – I just met with two other women last night to discuss our “rogue” bookclub. We were all members of a bookclub in our subdivision but left within months of each other. We all told the other members it was because of time restraints, kids, husbands – the whole miriad of mom-friendly excuses. But the real reason? It was just a social club – a who’s who of our neighborhood and half the time people didn’t even read the books. The last two members who joined admitted that they don’t like to read – they just wanted to join because they heard that we had a lot of fun and went to nice restaurants. So – my two friends and I are starting up a secret bookclub that actually reads the books. I’ve been involved in one other bookclub run by our school librarian and I loved it. A bookclub pushes me to read books I might not otherwise choose. But I like becca’s idea – a BLOG club would be cool, too!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Ooo, the intrigue! A rogue book club!

I had a similar conversation with a couple of friends here who are in another book group. I actually petitioned for admittance to theirs. They were all for it, but apparently one of the other members of their club put the kibosh on our plan. The politics!

TheKitchenWitch February 23, 2010 at 11:20 am

I’m in that book club right now! The one where I’m usually the only one that’s read the book. It gets a little lonely.

I loved The God of Small Things. If you enjoyed that, and can stomach another book about India, I recommend The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Good stuff!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I have loved all but one of the books I’ve read about India (The Inheritance of Loss wasn’t my cup of chai – ha! I crack myself up…) so I am grateful for this recommendation. I love book recommendations in general, so bring ‘em on!

Jana February 23, 2010 at 11:23 am

We read The White Tiger for our bookclub and had a great discussion. Definitely thought-provoking.

Anne February 23, 2010 at 11:29 am

For 5 years, I belonged to the BEST book club. It was a group of women–most (but not all) in the midst of some kind of post-graduate education. We READ THE BOOK. And believe me…I know this can be hard to find. And we read challenging books…East of Eden being one of my favorite selections. I’ve never been able to replicate that experience, and I so miss it. It’s nice reading whatever the heck I want these days, but I appreciated the club for making me read something I might otherwise have picked up. You know, like non-fiction:)

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:40 pm

We read East of Eden in the last book club I was in. Loved it. That summer I read East of Eden followed by Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner. They felt like companion pieces in a way.

And I’m with you on the non-fiction. I gravitate heavily toward fiction. Barbara Kingsolver’s essays do lure me away every once in awhile.

Eva February 23, 2010 at 11:53 am

I’ve yet to join a book club. It always seems like a good idea – a way to meet new people, make new friends, get out of the house – but I’m not sure I’d be a “good” book club member. I like to read what I want, when I want. I’m not sure I would play nicely with others!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:43 pm

I have that part of my personality as well. If you do ever try out a book club, you might consider giving up on a selection if you’ve given it a try and aren’t connecting with it. I believe life is too short to read bad books!

Contemporary Troubadour February 23, 2010 at 11:55 am

I joined a book club (invite sent by an alumna of the same alma mater) when I was living in Manhattan and teaching in the Bronx. But then she never called any meetings, so I can’t say I’ve actually *participated* in a book club. Not sure if the woman had trouble recruiting enough members or if it was something else — but there you go.

Andrea February 23, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Alas, I’ve never even been invited to join a book club (guess I don’t pass muster), though my “writing” group sounds like your current book group…we hardly ever meet because everyone always has conflits, and when we do meet we just eat and talk with very little writing.

Elizabeth @ Life in Pencil February 23, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Anne and I were in that same awesome book club, and I, too, have been nothing but disappointed since. I haven’t gotten up the nerve to look for a new one. You’ve GOT to read this article from the NYT a few weeks ago; you’ll love it:

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Thanks for that link, Elizabeth. It definitely made me think about the type of reader I am and what my motivations are for wanting a book club experience.

I daresay that if I were ever in a book club with you and Anne, I would never be satisfied by any other either!

Elizabeth @ Life in Pencil February 23, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Kristen, if you like books about India, have you read anything by Jhumpa Lahiri? She is one of my all-time faves. She did The Namesake, Unaccustomed Earth, and Interpreter of Maladies (which we read in our awesome book club!!). I do think it’s interesting that book clubs are female phenomena, and I would love to be in a coed one.

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Yes! Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my absolute favorite authors. She was actually the writer who first got me excited about short stories. Love, love, love everything she has written.

Terry February 23, 2010 at 12:59 pm

I never have been part of book club. They scare me. It’s the commitment phobe in me that stays away. And around here it’s usually just women in these book clubs and that just bothers me!

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Great point: why do book clubs so often break down along gender lines? Or, more precisely, why are book clubs a predominantly female phenomenon?

Gale @ Ten Dollar Thoughts February 23, 2010 at 1:51 pm

Shortly after I got married I started a book club that was moderately successful. Then, after a couple of years it devolved into the social club you describe. It was usually up to me (as the founder…) to send out the e-vite for the next meeting. One month I just didn’t send it out, as an experiment to see who would follow up. No one did. Not one single e-mail saying, “When’s the next book club?” So I did the very difficult thing of letting it die. I figured if I was pulling this wagon all by myself it would continue to be no fun. I’d love to get into a book club where people actually read the book. I just don’t know where to find one. Too bad you don’t live here…

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Would you be up for an online book club, Gale? I think I might just be starting one!

Tracy Todd February 23, 2010 at 2:52 pm

In my previous life (pre-accident) belonging to a book club was about the books. Now, it’s more about the company – and yes, the food, the wine and the fun.
There is nothing better than the feel, the smell and the joy of learning something new from a good book.
I love reading. For a long time after my accident I wasn’t able to read – simply because I couldn’t turn the pages. Thankfully, technology changed that. I am fortunate to be able to download e-books and read them on my laptop. I thank God for the privilege and pleasure of having a few hours escape from my life as I disappear into someone else’s life – far away from the confines of my paralysis – in a gripping novel.
Oh, but how I miss the ache in my arms as I lie in bed holding a book and slowly drifting off to sleep…

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Tracy, thank you for reminding us of the existential power of books and of stories.

Mama Zen February 23, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’ve never had much luck with book clubs!

Stacia February 23, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Same song, different verse: I was in a parenting-focused book club where very few of the parent-members read the books and wanted to discuss the advice. So I quit. Or it just sort of stopped, who can remember?

Plus, sad to say, when I do steal a weekend to devour a few books these days, I want (need?) fun, uplifting, and (I admit it) occasionally fluffy books. But I’d still love to have someone to talk with about them. =>

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I’m all for a yummy, fluffy book now and then. I don’t necessarily equate fluffy with bad. In fact, I’m thinking about a post on how different types of books are categorized (especially books by young-ish women) – what becomes chick lit vs. what is considered literary fiction? (Speaking of which, have you read anything by Emily Giffin? I suspect that she is considered chick lit – the covers of her books are pastel – but I think she is a good writer with a good sense of character development.)

Stacia February 24, 2010 at 12:02 am

Emily Giffin is one of my favorites! I inhale everything she writes. You are right: her character development is sensational; she has you empathizing with characters you thought you were “bad” and questioning the actions of the “good” ones, and then she brings it all around at the end.

Liz February 23, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Kristen, this made me laugh. I was in a book club a long time ago…I co-created it with another friend b/c we were desperate to officially read and discuss books (we are nerds like that). It was an eclectic group of about 12 of us…anyone we knew who we thought might be interested. We lasted about 2 years, and in the end, it was my friend and I who “disbanded” it. There were 3 of us who always read the book…cover to cover…no matter how bad, no matter whose choice. Half of the rest of the group read the whole book most of the time. The rest? Didn’t finish even one. So often, girls didn’t show up at the last minute, or would sit and talk about work gossip the whole time. Now I’m in a new book club: the same 3 of us who always read the book in the last book club, and one other woman. It was my idea…I invited the 3 women I respected and admired the most. We’ve been going strong now for a little over 2 years, and we do talk about kids, husbands, sex, and fashion. We drink wine and we get off topic and we eat. But we always, always read the book. And we always talk about it. I absolutely love it!

privilegeofparenting February 23, 2010 at 5:11 pm

I’ve generally been the guy with his nose pressed up to the candy store window of the book club. My wife’s has been running strong (albeit with some changes in membership) for years and has been a powerful element in her life.

Guys just don’t seem to do book clubs… makes me miss that literature seminar in college titled “Madness, Alienation and Despair in modern literature,” I loved it.

As for Stegner, I almost got the rights to “Crossing to Saftey” to try and adapt it as a screenplay… probably better that I did not, given that I succeeded once in getting to adapt Martin Amiss’ “London Fields” (even had a director and a star attached) but alas it fell apart… the worst part was finding out that Amiss hated it—and after his reputation for kindness?

I think the only book that a movie has done real justice to is “To Kill a Mockingbird.”

Namaste

Kristen @ Motherese February 23, 2010 at 9:54 pm

As I may have mentioned in my comment on your post last week about movies to watch with kids, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite films of all time. Husband and I considered Atticus as a middle name for our older son, but decided it might be a bit much combined with his first name and our last. Maybe we should have thought about Gregory?

And my jaw is currently resting on my laptop at the fact that you considered adapting Crossing to Safety for the screen. I have no doubt, my friend, that you would have done justice to Stegner.

Stimey February 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I’ve been part of two book clubs. Both times I dropped out because I didn’t have enough time to read the books. Or, if I did have time, I wanted to be reading a different book. And I felt like reading the book was an important part of the club.

Gibby February 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I’m “in” an online book club with my cousins. Most of the time we spend catching up since we don’t see each other as much as we’d like, but we do discuss the book. I love this club, but I wish I could find a local one, too that actually discusses the book instead of using it as an occasion to drink. (Not that I’m knocking a good glass of wine or anything!)

Cheryl February 23, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I’ve always wanted to be in a book club, but I have yet to find one I like. Now, I often try to read books that my friends are reading and try to get them to read what I’m reading so we can tweet/email/IM about them.

3 Stinky Boys and Me February 23, 2010 at 11:12 pm

Hi Kristen,

Ugh! I could not agree with you more. I have been a member of many useless book clubs and it really irritates me. I LOVE reading books and I would LOVE to discuss them. The only problem: no one ever reads them. And the ones who do, haven’t really read them either. They skim. I’ve just decided it’s an excuse to get together and chat, which I totally get, but like you said, why call it a book club? Why?

I think we should start our own club!!! I’m in!

By the way, I’m glad you dropped some titles in your post. I’m going to put them on my list from the library. I LOVE THE LIBRARY!

Tasha

Kristen @ Motherese February 24, 2010 at 6:52 am

Okay, Tasha, stay tuned. I think an online book club may be in the works!

Terresa Wellborn February 24, 2010 at 1:17 am

I’m finding book clubs like some friendships: They ebb and flow.

When we lived in San Diego I worked at a publishing company. Our book club rocked and then some.

When we first moved back to Las Vegas, I started a book club with like-minded home birthing mamas. We ate up books together, pot luck style, until a few years later, the group had flowed in different directions. It became all about babies and for me, then, it was so…yesterday. So handed the group off to a friend to run.

At the moment, I’m book clubless, too. (sigh)

Linda at Bar Mitzvahzilla February 24, 2010 at 1:38 am

Kristen, great topic. Somehow the subject of a bookclub where the members don’t read the book sounds like my neighborhood bunco group where no one plays bunco. We just stand around talking and eating and drinking and then, somehow, the host gives out prizes.

But I’m like you. I always have my nose in a book. Even when I had a newborn sleeping on top of me or in the crook of my arm, there was a book in my hand. I tend to read memoirs now since that’s what I write and also for the help it gives me with structure. Right now I’m reading “Just Kids” by Patti Smith and it’s surprisingly good. Considering it’s by a celebrity, she writes pretty well.

Kristen @ Motherese February 24, 2010 at 6:57 am

What’s “bunco”? Is this an Arizona thing, Linda? Do tell.

submom February 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I always find myself jealous of people belonging to a book club, one that meets regularly and actually reads books, with members that get fabulously along with each other. It sounds like a movie in the making.